Properties.
 
Christ Church, Byculla.

Christ Church was built at Byculla for the benefit of the children, who belonged to the Byculla Education Society's School. Therefore the Church was built on the plot of ground, adjoining the school of the Bombay Education Society, to accommodate a congregation of at least 300 persons. In the year 1837 subscriptions were raised by several European inhabitants of Bombay and others with the concurrence and sanction of the government for the purpose of building a church at Byculla,  The original subscribers selected from among themselves persons, to act as trustees of the church and to manage the temporal affairs along with the Chaplin.

Unlike St. Thomas Church, the Christ Church does not posses much Gothic characteristics.  Its architecture is more on the lines of the Greek.  The Church was fortunate recipient of Cowperís unused Dorric columns.  The principle interest, however, lies in the handsome monument separately built in honour of Sir Robert Grant, the Governor of Bombay, who died in 1839 at his favorite retreat at Dapuri. The stained glass windows were set up in 1870 in memory of Mr. Spensor Compton, the eldest son of Sir Herbert, Chief Justice of Bombay. Not many alterations were done in the 20th century 

It has rich memorial plaques
  • The Chambers of commerce had erected a plaque in memory of the Rt. Honourable Sir Robert Grant, the Governor of Bombay who died on the 9th of July 1838 at Poona. Sir Robert Grant was responsible for the establishment of the chamber of commerce as well as into its recognition as a public body. During his tenure as the Governor from 1835 - 1838 Bombay gained increased agricultural and commercial income.
  • John Marshall Davis who died on November 29, 1853, was a Resident at the Court of   Gaikwad of Baroda. He was responsible for the equitable assessment of revenues in the Broach district and exerted to stop fraud in the cotton trade.
  • James Henry Standen, H.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge was a barrister at law, Administrator General  and Registrar of the 'Diocese of Bombay'. He died at Penang on October 11, 1858
  • John George Forbes, Auditor General of the, Bombay Presidency, died on April 29; 1860. His wife Maria Leckie died on the l6th July 1844. Their son Arthur Andrew died on the wall Christ Church. Arthur Andrew was a member of the Civil  Service of the Bombay Presidency and was also an Assistant judge at Ahmednagar.
  • The Bombay Education Society along with its ex-students built a memorial  for Hay Fox who was the Matron of the Bombay education Society for nearly 43 years. She died on the l3th of December 1915. Ann Mathilde a Matron for 39 years died on January 22, 1914.
  • Another plaque of importance is that of lieut Col. Edward Hundy Wood who died on November 29, 1840. The Lieut belonging to the 1st regiment of the Bombay European infantry was also Secretary to the Bombay Government in the military and Marine departments:
  • Lieut Col. James Keith of the 7th Regiment and Deputy General of the Bombay army, died at Soorkab on l9th October 1831, while serving with the Bombay Column.
  • Rev. James Duncan was the Chaplain of Christ Church. When he died on the 26th of June 1900 a plaque was erected in his memory by the members of his congregation as a mark of love and respect.
  • Also remembered is J. J. E. Cruickshank who was a major with the Bombay Engineers He died on the 24th of May 1856.

 


Send mail to info@ BDTA.net with questions or comments about this web site.
Copyright © 2004 The BDTA Pvt Ltd.
Last modified: March 08, 2004

 

 
Designed and Maintained by Star creations© copyrighted to The BDTA Pvt. Ltd..