Properties.
 
St. Crispin's Church, Pune
“The Society of St. John the Evangelist is responsible for evangelist work in Pune. It is one of the oldest traditional in the Mission that an evangelist party should go out in the country districts.

The party usually consists of one English and one Indian Priest and two Catechists. The Evangelist usually all preach in turn these clergy and catechists used to lodge in tents while traveling steadily from the village to another opening a school is the first step towards mission work. Villagers generally expien desire for a school and will promise facilities towards its establishment but when it comes to the point of priority a himse of some kind in which it is to be held or even a site on kind in which a school could be built, their cheerful promises generally dissolve into nothingness”

In Yerwada an a school began in 1891 in the Hindu temple with a Christian master and offer a while a room in the centre  of the village was venteb for the purpose. The Village mission at Yerwada came into being through the renewal there of S. Pancras Boy’s Home. After much difficulty an excellent site of seven acres in a beautiful situation was secured. Here was built a small mission bunglow for the use of S.S.J.E & other members of stall. The house was blessed on June 2, 1901.

The  Boy’s Home was built an October 3, 1901. But the great work has been the building of the permanent Church. Till that was finished services were held in one of the verandahs of the Boy’s Home and in the  small chapels in the Father and Sisters Bunglows. As it was necessary to build a Chapel for the use of the boys and other staff, it seemed as it might be well to book forwrd some what and to build the village Church for the future. The generosity of many people made this possible and the sum of £ 2,500 having been collected and Mr. Comper having furnished the design, the first sod for the foundation was turned on

the feast of St. John 1905 and the work actually commenced in January 1st, 1906, the foundation stone was laid by Father Maxwll on the eve of S. Mathias, February 21st, 1906 and the church was finally completed and was used for the first time in the Eve of the Saint to whom it is dedicated, S. Crispin, October 25th, 1907.

 


Send mail to info@ BDTA.net with questions or comments about this web site.
Copyright © 2004 The BDTA Pvt Ltd.
Last modified: March 08, 2004

 

 
Designed and Maintained by Star creations© copyrighted to The BDTA Pvt. Ltd..