altar was not erected till some few years after
the church was opened. It was dedicated in October
One of the munificent special.
gift which the church has received is a lofty
bell and clock tower, 130 feet high with a ring
of eight fine bells, cast by Taylor and Sons,
of Loughborough, and having on each bell the
Holy Names of Jesus. The tower was begun in
August 1893, took some years to build, and was
at last finished and blessed in 1898. It stands
about a dozen yards to the south of the Church.
The fourth storey is the clock room. The tower
can be seen from a long distance; and apart
from its practical use, it bears witness to
the power of a religion, which impelled strangers
in England to erect so costly a building to
the glory of God.
The first of many subsequent
ordinations was held in Church of Holy Name
in September 1886, and the first of many Retreats
for Clergy was held in the Poona City Mission
House in 1895.